Sunday, September 3, 2017

I don't often share personal stories involving the other people in my life, but for Father's day, this is a spooky but awesome true story. Back in the day I used to go to Takapuna Market with my assistant and balloon sculpt to earn money. Life was pretty challenging to be honest, but I always tried to look for something happy around me, as a reminder that there was still good in the world. I remember this man standing in the queue with a sweet wee girl who had an adorable little voice and said to my assistant, 'Look at them! Look at their joy! If I could ever be with someone, I hope he would be the kind of man who would have a really lovely relationship with his wee girl - just like those two.' Honestly - the joy between them was ridiculously sweet. I handed her a balloon flower and she looked at the man and said 'Thank you Dada'. Seriously, the cutest thing ever. A couple of years later, Pete and I got together and moved to Takapuna. Walking through the carpark, I commented, 'Wow, I used to stand here in the weekends and balloon sculpt to earn money'. Pete stops in his tracks. 'Did you used to wear green shorts? [YES] And a necklace that looked like lollies? [YES] And did you have an assistant? [YES] I stood in the line and bought Leah a flower from you! She would have been about 4!' I had a MASSIVE matrix moment. Yes, it was them. That moment of joy I had witnessed was real. And a couple of years later, I'm with that man that still has a sweet relationship with his daughter, as well as his 3 awesome sons. To all you Dads, step dads or Mums or caregivers filling the role, I salute you. Happy Fathers Day Pete Ward. X


via Monique Bradley http://ift.tt/2wy2rj8

No comments:

Post a Comment